I used to feel oranges were a whole lot of work, thick skin, rind in your fingernails, an all day aroma of citrus and sticky hands, all for a mediocre outcome. I find it incredibly disappointing to peel an orange, take a bite, and not have my taste buds jump with sweet and sour excitement. In the past two weeks however I have consumed an average of 2-4 oranges a day. They are so juicy and flavorful that when I open the fruit cabinet I find my self bypassing my usually favorite apple, and easier to peel clementine, and reaching my hand straight to the back for an orange.
And on the topic of oranges, I came across this interesting post on Civil Eats, Getting Fresh: An Interview with Alissa Hamilton on Orange Juice. She wrote the book Squeezed: What You Don't Know about Orange Juice. Check out the interview, it's something to think about. I don't really drink orange juice at home, pretty much only in mimosas on Christmas morning, but it is important to ask ourselves where the foods we eat and the things we drink come from and what is actually in them.
No comments:
Post a Comment