We also told her that we are interested in trying foods typical to Catalonia. One night she made us Arroz con Verduras (Rice with Vegetables) and served it with tomatoes with basil and olive oil and a fried egg. It was rice mixed with sauteed onion, spinach, peas, raisins, pine nuts, bay leaf, and olive oil. It was so simple yet absolutely delicious. Senora told us it was a typical dish but didn't really explain, so I asked my Food and Culture teacher about it and she told me that anything labeled Catalan most of the time will include spinach, raisins, and pine nuts.
That explanation was quite helpful today when Jami and I were at lunch together in Born. Born is one of our favorite areas of the city, especially for eating. We picked a small restaurant near the Church de Santa Maria del Mar originally thinking we might go with the lunch special, which includes a first course, a main dish, bread, a drink and dessert. It's typical for restaurants to offer this sort of deal from about 1pm-3pm each day, most of the time it's a great deal (ranging from 7€ to 15€ and even more really nice places). But when we sat down my eye caught the plate the man across from us had in front of him. I asked him what he was eating, he said it was the spinach crepe and it had been recommended to him. It looked more like a burrito then a crepe, but it was stuffed with lots of spinach, pine nuts, raisins, and small diced vegetables like carrots and a bit of onion, mainly it was a lot of nicely seasoned spinach, all surrounded my a bright red colored paprika sauce. I loved it.
Day 1- Stupid! Should have worn a warmer coat!
Really ornate, super cool lamp posts designed by Gaudi.
Tomorrow morning I have to be at Placa Catalunya at 7:45am to get on a bus to Tarragona, Spain. It is a Study Trip with IES. Everyone is going and we do all the activities with our Spanish class. Expect a post about what I see and do there this weekend.
Lastly, I had my first meeting about my trip to Morocco in March. There are 12 of us going and 3 IES staff and when we get there, former Peace Corp volunteers lead us around as well as local university students who are trying to work on their English. We spend two of our nights with a host family, the others in a hotel, there will be hiking, great food, beautiful landscapes, camel riding on the beach, possibly some swimming blah blah blah. I am so freaking excited for it, I wish spring break were tomorrow!
No comments:
Post a Comment